Sketchbook- Midterm



    The first entry in my sketchbook is the planning process page for the front cover. For all of my sketchbooks I like to design a cover for them mostly because it makes it a little bit more personalized so that when you look at it you'll know exactly who it belongs to. The character I ended up drawing on the cover is Sora from the game Kingdom Hearts. I had a bit of technical difficulties when it came to creating this mainly because the white acrylic paint pen I was using tore through the cover (hence why there is a large heart near the top). However thankfully it still fits the character and overall I'm quite happy with it! 

Supplies used- White Gel Pen, White Posca Pen


    This is the first drawing I did in my sketchbook outside of classwork was this drawing of Disney's Rapunzel. I was watching the movie and decided to draw along while doing so and try out some of my Watercolour paint on this paper. I'm not a huge fan of this drawing, I was a little disappointed in honesty because the sharpie I had used smudged the paint and I had to re-do certain spots to try and fix it and it just turned out kind of muddy looking. However looking back at it again now I do like how I did the dress and hair.

Supplies Used: Watercolour Paint, Micron fine tipped sharpie, White gel pen, HB pencil.
 



    The next two pages are my testing pages, meaning I they're the pages that I test out some of my art supplies on to see how they react with the paper in this sketchbook. In all of my sketchbooks I usually have multiple pages throughout them that are just full of pages like these because all sketchbooks are mad using different paper so I find it helpful to see what supplies are unable to work well on it. I also like to have all of my colours swatched out because sometimes colours can appear less vibrant on different types of papers. The First page on the top there is my alcohol markers, water based markers, and water colour paints. And the second page is full of all of the newer supplies I received for this class. The second page can be a littler bit difficult to see because I used the backside of the last page but if you look at all of the things above the Spider-Man those are swatches of acrylic paints, charcoal, pastels, India ink, and some water colour pencils.

Supplies:  Alcohol Markers, Water Based Markers, Watercolour Paints, Charcoal, Acrylic Paints, Pastels, Watercolour Pencilcrayons.





    The next four drawings are all activities that were done in class to prepare for our second assignment which was drawing contour lines. I wanted to include these specifically the last page because I often like to take notes while making drawings just to keep tin mind some things I could improve upon when creating the final pieces. I also like to take notes when drawing just so that when looking back I'll know what my thought process was when creating a piece. 

Supplies: HB Pencil

    This second page was another one that was partially done in class to help us brainstorm ideas for the second assignment where we worked with gradients. 

Supplies used: HB Pencil, 4B Pencil, 2B pencil, Pastels, Water Based Marker, Highlighter.


    This next drawing is a brainstorm of a character that I'm helping design for a friend. The character is supposed to be a goddess of fire so I was trying to incorporate some of those aspects in her design. I designed the outfit from several different Nordic inspired outfits shown throughout history as well as in T.V. and Cinema.

Supplies used: HB pencil, Alcohol Markers.


    This Drawing is of the character Roxas from the videogame Kingdom Hearts. I have been trying to work on drawing more interesting poses so often times what I'll do is find a model posing an outfit on Pinterest and draw character wearing it. In the first drawing at the top, I like how the body and outfit turned out however I'm not a super huge fan of the face. I feel that it turned out looking a little bit wonky and similar to the Rapunzel drawing I had done, the sharpie I had used to line the drawing ran a little bit when interacting with my Alcohol based markers (most noticeable in the hair). The second picture underneath the top one is a picture of the backside of the paper. I wanted to include this because sometimes I like to almost re-draw the piece using the colours that bleed through the page. In this case, I used it to improve the face of the character and I honestly like the look of it better that the original. 

Supplies used: Alcohol based markers, Fine tip permanent marker, White gel pen, Posca Pen, Blue Pen. 


    I really enjoy sketching and drawing in pen. Since it cannot be erased it makes it more of a challenge when it comes to drawing and forces one to try and perfect linework. For these drawing I was referencing pictures of models on Pinterest and practicing drawing peoples faces in my own style. my first attempt was the unfinished drawing in the top right of the page. I had messed up some of the proportions such as the face shape and the mouth so rather than pushing forward I decided to redo it but follow the shapes of her face more closely. I really like the end result of the drawing that I re-did (on the middle left) I felt it holds more true to the models face and I'm glad that I decided to fix it. The drawing on the middle right was my attempt at drawing a side profile. Side profiles are another aspect of art that I struggle greatly with mostly because if you mess up even slightly the face can often look very warped and unconvincing. However, in this drawing I think I did alright the nose looks very proportionate and the eye seems to be in the right placement, my only complaint would be that I didn't draw much of a mouth. Drawing cats is one of my favourite things to do most likely because I have two of them , but also they're just fun to draw. The one I drew in the top left is supposed to be a cat wearing a witch's hat since I've been feeling in a Halloween mood lately I wanted to draw something related to that. And Lastly the drawing at the bottom of the page is a little self portrait of me in one of my other art styles. 

Supplies used: Blue pen. 

    
    This page is filled with some Mystery Skulls characters. Most often times when I'm drawing characters I usually prefer to draw them in my own style however sometimes I do attempt to draw them in their original style which is the case for this piece. In the middle I was trying to draw the character in almost a monochromatic colour scheme using only purple Watercolour paints. My favourite part of this page would have to be the drawing I did of the character in the top left of the page. 

Supplies used: Watercolour paints, White gel pen, Blue pen. 



         This is the final, and most recent,  page I had done in my sketchbook aside from class assignments. Often times I enjoy just filling a page with random things I felt like drawing in the moment and this page is a great example of that. I'm unsure as to why I wanted to draw the bird, but as for the plague doctor I had an advertisement for a Halloween costume show up as I was on my phone and I felt inspired to draw it. The eye in the top right of the page was my attempt at drawing a semi-realistic eye. Most often times my art style is more cartoon/ anime inspired so drawing realistic looking things can be quite the challenge for me. I also really enjoy drawing eyes they're just so uniquely beautiful and different on every persons face that it's always interesting to draw. As for the hand I also greatly struggle when it comes to drawing the, so I have been trying to practice drawing hands more. It is definitely something I want to improve in my art. 

Supplies used: HB pencil, Watercolour calligraphy pen. 

    In all honesty it has been quite a while since I've drawn traditionally in a sketchbook. I really enjoy drawing in sketchbooks, to me its almost like a safe space where I can express myself freely to my hearts content and I shall continue to try and draw more often in them. I also just wanted to apologize about the lighting not being great in these pictures, it is unfortunately snowing outside so I had to take them indoors. 

Comments